I love food. I love to try new food. I love to try mom and pop restaurants, holes in the wall, you know, the little joints, some run down, some new. They seem to have the best food. I want to share these places with you in the hopes that you will feel the same way I do about food and want to try something new and delicious or something basic but very good. I may also throw in an incredible recipe I come across since I not only like to eat, I like to cook. I hope you enjoy the journey and if you have a place you want me to try, please let me know.

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Boxcar Cafe

Home Cooking

865 Senoia Road
Tyrone, GA
At the corner of Senoia Road and Castlewood, caddy corner from Tyrone Elementary
Driving directions

Boxcar Cafe - on the right

If you live in Tyrone you know about the Boxcar Cafe.  If you stop in for lunch you will find a bunch of good old boys, local business folks, and families having lunch. This is one of the spots where the locals like to hang out and it seems like most everyone knows each other, especially the staff. This is home cooking that feels like home. It is a very welcoming restaurant with friendly staff that are always eager to say hello and chit chat with you.

My daughter found this restaurant years ago and any time I mention it for lunch, she is ready to go. Sadie, Lil and I decided to stop in for lunch today. Sadie went for the Country Fried Steak with Cream Gravy. This seems to be a Dunkin favorite when it comes to delicious food. I usually order it when it is on the menu but something else caught my eye today. Sadie went for the Green Beans, Mac & Cheese, Mashed Potatoes and a Roll. She cleaned her plate with the help of Lil.

Country Fried Steak
My favorite holiday of the year is Thanksgiving since it revolves around family and food. I can never get enough turkey and gravy so when I saw they had a special of Chicken and Dressing with Gravy and Cranberry Sauce, I went for it. I ordered Mac & Cheese, Black Eyed Peas, Fried Green Tomatoes, and a Roll.  With the help of Lil, it was polished off quick. I have always wondered how restaurants make Black Eyed Peas, Lima Beans, Field Peas, and such so good. Mine never taste as good as they do here or at other home cooking restaurants so I go for the veggies every time. I'm sure it's in the seasoning but I am not sure what that seasoning is.

Chicken & Dressing

Bottom Line

The Boxcar Cafe is good, very good. If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend it. You will enjoy the food, the staff, and the atmosphere. The prices are reasonable and you get plenty of food. The lunches are $6.99 and you get a meat, two vegetables, dessert, and roll or you can get a meat, three vegetables, and a roll. I like the veggies so much I skip the dessert. They do have good desserts though according to Sadie.

Recommendations

Meat and Three Vegetables - you can't go wrong. I have tried many of their choices and liked them all
Sandwiches - They have a good variety of sandwiches. I tried the chili, cheese, slaw dog one day for $4.95 and it was massive and tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know if you have a restaurant suggestion or if you have eaten at this place and what you liked.