I love food. I love to try new food. I love to try mom and pop restaurants, holes in the wall, you know, the little joints, some run down, some new. They seem to have the best food. I want to share these places with you in the hopes that you will feel the same way I do about food and want to try something new and delicious or something basic but very good. I may also throw in an incredible recipe I come across since I not only like to eat, I like to cook. I hope you enjoy the journey and if you have a place you want me to try, please let me know.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

La Esperanza

Authentic Mexican Food


1988 Hwy 54 W
Fayetteville, GA
Located just past Publix and Ace Hardware on Hwy 54, just outside of Peachtree City.
Driving directions

Carl and I decided to visit my second favorite authentic Mexican restaurant before church tonight.  La Esperanza serves the local Mexican community and this place has the real thing.  No chips and dips, no cerveza, no margaritas, just good authentic Mexican food.  The food is great here, but I still think that La Placita in Fairburn has the best authentic Mexican food.  See my earlier post on La Placita for more info.  La Esparanza has an extensive menu and a wider variety than La Placita, but La Placita has much better prices and I think the food is just a little better.  Four tacos at La Placita is $5 and the same four tacos at La Esperanza will set you back $8.  Enough talk about the restaurants, let's get on to the food.


Carl likes the Tacos de Lengua
 Carl decided to go for one Taco de Carne Asada (steak) and one Taco de Lengua (cow tongue).  Carl loves the Taco de Lengua.  I have had these before and they are very good.  They have a great soft texture and a little more flavor than the Taco de Carne Asada.  I decided to go with the Taco de Carne Asada since this is currently my favorite taco.  The Taco de Carne Asada is pretty amazing. I don't know how they season their meat here but it is really good.  They serve their tacos with onion, cilantro, and a side of lime.  This is good stuff.



The cost of our meal ended up being $12.  This included five tacos and two bottles of water.  Pretty reasonable I think.

Taco de Cabeza
After we finished our tacos we were still hungry so we looked on the specials board and saw Tacos de Cabeza.  We asked the waitress/cook what that was and she said beef head and then rubbed her cheek.  Hmmm.   In probing further we found out that it is the cheek muscle.  We looked at each other and said, "let's do it!".  We ordered one and we weren't disappointed.  The meat was so tender it just melted in our mouths.  And the flavor, it was great.  We both decided we were going to come back and try this again.  This may be my new favorite taco.  They also have the following options for tacos: chicken, pork, barbacoa, beef tripe, pork stomach, and others I can't remember.

Homemade Salsas
The cooks at La Esparanza also make their own salsas.  These are really tasty and you need to sample them before loading up your taco.  They make one from nothing but straight jalapeno's and also some with hanbeneros.  They also have new ones from time to time.


Other items on the menu that I have tried is menudo (cow stomach soup), tamales, beef stew, burritos, and their burgers.  They make a delicious burger containing two patties, grilled jalapeno's, and grilled onions.  I am looking forward to trying their Chile Rellenos and a few of their specials from time to time.



Bottom Line

This is good authentic Mexican food and I highly recommend it.  Prices are reasonable and the portions are good.  I am looking

Recommendations

Taco de Carne Asada - steak, delicious
Taco de Cabeza - cow cheek, very delicious, melts in your mouth
Taco de Lengua - cown tongue, mellow and tasty
Burger - make sure you are hungry

La Esperanza also has a small store with lots of Mexican items and a meat market.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know if you have a restaurant suggestion or if you have eaten at this place and what you liked.